New KIO::Slave: x-kde-icon

Marc Mutz marc at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Jun 21 20:30:28 BST 2004

Hi Lauri, all!

The problem:

  When trying to write a decent handbook for a KDE app, you sooner or later
  stumble across the icon-issue. You would like to include the icons in the
  description of the menu item, or button, but you are faced with two daunting
  tasks:
    1. Find the icons and copy them to the module/doc/app directory
    2. Maintain this sh*t when the icons change.
  Apart from that, the next icon theme makes the icons worthless. Even if it
  was only installed locally.

The solution:

  A kde-icon kioslave. In DocBook's inimitable way, you can now say
  <inlinemediaobject>
    <imageobject>
      <imagedata fileref="x-kde-icon:/fileopen?size=22"/>
    </imageobject>
  </inlinemediaobject>
  to get an icon whose base64 data is probably half as much text as the
  DocBook decoration :)

  Or you can say x-kde-icon:/exit?size=toolbar (omitting for the moment the
  required DocBook decoration) to get a size-by-group.

  You have a UserIcon? No problem, use size=user, and app=myapp, which calls
  iconLoader()->addAppDir( "myapp" ) so your icons are found.

Attached. Shall we add this to KDE 3.3? It doesn't have any translations in it
(although I left the message target), and it's so /immensely/ useful.

Marc

Marc Mutz -- marc at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se, mutz at kde.org