kdelibs bootstrap problem with meinproc revisited

Adriaan de Groot adridg at cs.kun.nl
Mon Jun 14 22:30:28 BST 2004

On Monday 14 June 2004 17:39, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> On Monday 14 June 2004 17:17, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > On Monday 14 June 2004 09:00 am, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > > No change. FWIW, besides meinproc and makekdewidget there's a third
> > > binary that's used in a similar way, but is linked correctly: genembed
> > > from kstyles/keramik. I'm too blind to see what makes the difference
> > > though...

Well, consider this:

beans.ebn.kun.nl$ldd /mnt/build/FreeBSD-amd64-HEAD/kdelibs/kio/.libs/libkio.so
/mnt/build/FreeBSD-amd64-HEAD/kdelibs/kio/.libs/libkio.so:
        libkdeui.so.6 => not found (0x0)
<snip>

So kio has an unresolved reference to libkdeui.so.6 ; meinproc gets built with
(snippet of huge command line):

./.libs/libkbzipfilter_dummy.a
/mnt/build/FreeBSD-amd64-HEAD/kdelibs/kio/.libs/libkio.so
/mnt/build/FreeBSD-amd64-HEAD/kdelibs/kdeui/.libs/libkdeui.so
/mnt/build/FreeBSD-amd64-HEAD/kdelibs/kdesu/.libs/libkdesu.so

It seems like no amount of wrestling with the -Wl,--rpath,foo and -L and -R
arguments when linking the _application_ lt-meinproc can fix up the bad
references to libkdeui.so.6 in the libraries that are referenced from there -
ie. the references in libkio.so. Now, there's an obvious and easy and working
fix: set (or extend) LD_LIBRARY_PATH before executing the lt-executable to
include the directories of .so's that it references.

So, er, case half-closed. Given Matz' poetry about libtool, I have poured
myself a pint glass of red wine.

--
   "On top of that [watching KDE CVS] is interesting in a perverse
    way, like watching sausage get made. By very smart people." - dkite