removing reslisa/rlan from kdenetwork/lanbrowsing

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jun 8 21:29:57 BST 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 14:10, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On June 7, 2004 05:33 pm, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to remove the reslisa/rlan pages from kconfig.
> > I get almost no response from users (as opposed to a lot of traffic
> > regarding lisa/lan), so to me it seems nobody uses it.
> > As alternatives there is still the smb-ioslave and the lan-ioslave.
>
> As I understood it, the immportant distinction between relisa ( rlan:/ )
> and lisa ( lan:/ ) is that the lan:/ IO slave requires a lisa daemon to be
> running, relisa does not require a daemon running as root... it is setuid
> root and operates on demand by the rlan:/ slave.

Yes, but it reports only hosts which have samba running, so not much more than
smb:/.
OTOH I'd like to add a small config entry for the lan-ioslave so that "lan:/"
doesn't always redirect to localhost, but that it becomes possible to
redirect it to any host you want, so that you can have a central lisa server
in your network and all clients can access it directly without having to run
the lisa daemon theirselves.
I could also add an option so that lan:/ redirects to smb:/, so that at least
the konqy sidebar entry will always work.

> Has this changed, or are we making the lisa daemon a requirement now? Note
> the smb:/ IO slave is not a substitute for either of these... I can't
> browse the available fish/scp and ftp servers on my network with smb:/

How about adding the functionality of checking for other services to the
smb-ioslave ?

Bye
Alex