[daniel at freedesktop.org: Timeline, and slippage]

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Sat Jul 31 01:42:58 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:25:48PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> To clarify, the "standarization process" referred to here is a proposal
> to have "specifications releases" every 6 months to force
> us to actually finish and publish the specifications that are
> done  (XDG basedir specification, desktop file specification,
> startup notification, and so forth.)
>
> While it was initially proposed that specifications would be part of the
> platform release, I think this is a bad idea for a number of reasons:
>
>  - A specification is about multiple applications inter-operating;
>    so the criteria for compatibility and being "done" are very different
>    than for a library.
>
>  - The end-product is different - the platform release produces a set
>    of tarballs, the specification release produces a list of
>    specification.
>
>  - The platform release is going to be enough work without throwing
>    in a bunch of unrelated tasks that don't *have* to be part of the
>    platform release.
>
> So I don't see any duplication, much less massive duplication between
> the specification and platform releases. They will be coordinated
> as appropriate, they don't need to be the same.

Personally, I'm torn.

One proposal is that they are all part of the platform, but the platform
is split in two: libraries, and specifications. Distributors who want to
be platform-compliant must ship all the libraries in sufficient version,
and software must comply to all the standards relevant to it in order
for the product to be platform-compliant.

Another proposal is that you just combine it all.

The other proposal is that you split the lot in two, and have
not-necessarily-connected releases.

Obviously, I put the split platform first for a reason: I like it the
best.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org