Fwd: Re: Request for Comments: GNOME Notifier

Sébastien Laoût [temporar] les83plus at free.fr
Fri Jul 30 17:26:50 BST 2004

Le ven 30/07/2004 à 14:54, Olivier Goffart a écrit :
> For KDE4, we could move the parsing of the config file into the client
> library. (Or we could imagine share the same config files (.desktop))
>  But the notificaiton deamon could be expanded to do more action like KNotify
> already does.
>
> The notification protocol need to be extendend to receive following flags:
>
> -A bitmask, or a string list, containing what action needs to be preformed
> (play a sound, show a passivepopup, a message box, blink the taskbar entry,
> raise the window, log to a file, execute a program, ....)

One of the problems with the actual KNotify is that PassivePopups (and
dialogs) only receive the comment (the same that would be logged, or
somewhat else...) and cannot be used as powerfully as KPassivePopup
class can be.

But in some cases, like Kopete, the PassivePopup should display a longer
(more descriptive) text that the text/comment that would be logged.

eg. In Kopete when a contact is connecting, we get a PassivePopup with
the name, that he is connecting, and a pretty link "Discuss with him"
that, when clicked, open a discussion dialog.
But if the user want the event to be logged too, the log coment should
be shorten (and, of course, without the link): actually they are related
is hardly changeable (be made dynamic).

It's currently impossible to have two comments, or even custom widgets.
Kopete then make deep interceptions/changes in KNotifyClient class to
achieve that.

I also have a program that should show longer passive comments and I
will study the code of Kopete to encapsulate KNotify for that purpose.

Another concern is that some programs like amaroK or eventwatcher manage
there own bubble messages: They create rounded windows than "point" to
the systray icon...
This is great user point of view, but incompatible with KNotify: users
loss the power of the KDE notifier.
Could be good if KNotify in KDE4 allow the use of rounded popups and/or
baloon popups.
And it would even by more user friendly if widget themes could theme the
PassivePopups: they currently look odd because yellow/gray rectangle.
Windows (MSN Messsenger, Symantec Norton, and lot of recent apps)
provide very well themed (with rounds, gradiants, colors...) ballons.

Out of context of the GNOME notifier (but perhapse a subject for aKademy
? Unfortunaly I couldn't go to aKademy...) but I was having the
intention to add features to KNotify.
If you think KNotify with those "extensions" could be made compatible
with DUNS, so it's good for me (as DCOP 'would' be a
"sur-ensemble"("overload" in english?) of DBUS, KNotify could be a
"sur-ensemble" of DUNS...
Compatibility with GNOME/otherDesktops is good but I love the power of
KDE :-)

--
Chiao,
Sébastien Laoût.