kdebase/kcontrol/knotify/sounds

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Jul 24 15:53:38 BST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 08:00, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > *) glib is just about everywhere
> > *) pretty much every distro is shipping aRts 1.2 anyway
> > *) anyone who really wants to perform an exercise in futility can
> > backport this stuff to the 1.1 branch and do a new aRts 1.1 release if it
> > will make it easier for them to sleep at night
>
> I don't care either. But you should fix the configure-checks as well to
> require aRts 1.2 or 1.3. 1.3 would be best since the native (non mpeglib or
> akodelib) ogg-vorbis playback was fixed to not use silly amounts of CPU.
> If people dont like the dynamic glib dependency they can just statically
> link it, since that would be the same as what happened in aRts 1.1.

  Most definitely not.  The configure check must stay as it is, just let users
have no default sound effects.  I basically disabled sound in KDE a long time
ago because I'm tired of more and more bloat and still the same old crashes.

   Thankfully KDE 4 isn't too far away so we can get rid of this whole
abomination, have only apps that actually use multimedia link to it, and the
rest of us can have small fast binaries again.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/