strange FTP behaviour

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Jul 23 12:06:45 BST 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 09:20, Jens Herden wrote:
> I understand that this patch solves the problem for every software that uses
> parts.
Yes.
> And I wonder if this is the right place to fix it? Can't there be a
> solution inside of KIO?
KIO::file_copy is too lowlevel:
When copying a big directory with Konqueror you would end up with a
"filesadded" notification after each and every file being copied - we certainly
do NOT want that, it triggers a re-listing in KonqIconView/KonqListView!
The notification has to be done at the high level where we know for sure when
the copy operation is finished, hence the idea to do it in that KParts slot.
I guess a solution would be a new bool/enum argument to file_copy to indicate
whether KDirNotify notification is wanted. This would still require fixing this
in all apps that use KIO::file_copy (or KIO::put!) for saving, but the fix would
be a one-liner instead of a 4-liner.

> BTW. why is allDirNotify always created even if the command is not CMD_COPY or
> CMD_RENAME? I guess it would be a bit faster to test first m_command before
> creating allDirNotify.
Yes, feel free to make that change.