kdebase/kcontrol/knotify/sounds

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Jul 22 16:30:02 BST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 06:41, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2004 12:23, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Doesn't this mean we now depend on atleast aRts 1.2, which in turn
> > means a dependency on glib? (Since artsplay of aRts 1.1 could only
> > play WAV-files.)
>
> Probably, but honestly I just don't care.  But why don't we pretend
> that we just had a huge flamewar with about 300 posts (covering the
> necessary points of g* sucking, C sucking, Zack being ugly, slippery
> slopes, etc.) and go ahead and skip to the conclusions:

KDE developers 13th commandment : "You will not take Zack's name in
vein". Or  maybe it was "Always skip on the left foot while crossing a
road", not quite sure, but the general idea is basically the same.

Oh and "Zack being ugly" was never a subject of any flamewar. Everyone
agrees that I'm drop dead gorgeous and it's impossible to have a
flamewar if everyone agrees on it.

> *) glib is just about everywhere

That's an overstatement. Just because you like GStreamer doesn't make it
valid :)

But the bottom line is that as much as we hate the current situation,
nothing can be done about it so lets deal with it. Personally I don't
use aRts or sounds in KDE at all. After George and I spend quite some
time on getting aRts working on powerbook I just decided that it
doesn't make sense to spend so much time on it just to be able to hear
"beeep". I have artsd linked to /dev/null and, granted this is a really
bad choice, if anyone feels like complaining a lot without coding then
just uninstall arts and save me a lot of reading on stupid threads like
that.

Zack

--
The quiet ones are the ones who change the world. The loud ones only
take the credit.