kdebase/kcontrol/knotify/sounds

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Jul 22 13:00:13 BST 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 12:41, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2004 12:23, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Doesn't this mean we now depend on atleast aRts 1.2, which in turn means
> > a dependency on glib? (Since artsplay of aRts 1.1 could only play
> > WAV-files.)
>
> Probably, but honestly I just don't care.  But why don't we pretend that we
> just had a huge flamewar with about 300 posts (covering the necessary
> points of g* sucking, C sucking, Zack being ugly, slippery slopes, etc.)
> and go ahead and skip to the conclusions:
>
> *) glib is just about everywhere
> *) pretty much every distro is shipping aRts 1.2 anyway
> *) anyone who really wants to perform an exercise in futility can backport
> this stuff to the 1.1 branch and do a new aRts 1.1 release if it will make
> it easier for them to sleep at night

I don't care either. But you should fix the configure-checks as well to
require aRts 1.2 or 1.3. 1.3 would be best since the native (non mpeglib or
akodelib) ogg-vorbis playback was fixed to not use silly amounts of CPU.
If people dont like the dynamic glib dependency they can just statically link
it, since that would be the same as what happened in aRts 1.1.

`Allan