Support for tryExec in sidebar plugins

Marcus Camen mcamen at mcamen.de
Mon Jul 19 19:33:22 BST 2004

Hi *,

AFAIK for kdm session files (like twm.desktop) we read the 'TryExec' key
in the .desktop file and check if the given executable is available or
not. The same applies for KService which is used by the Kontact plugin
system (e.g. David and Daniel committed a modified newsticker plugin
today).

The attached patch implements a similar functionality in
kdebase/konqueror/sidebar/sidebar_widget.cpp. It affects the 'Add New'
popup menu in a way that sidebar plugins which have (TryExec==foo &&
executable foo does not exist) will not be shown. Therefore a user will
not be able to add non-functional plugins.

Of course you can argue if this is a bugfix or not but IMHO it will fix
consistency of plugins-dependancy-runtime-checks across KDE.

I intend to use this in
kdeaddons/konq_plugins/sidebar/newsticker/news_add.desktop. I am not
aware of any other sidebar plugins which depend on specific executables
but there might be 3rd party plugins out there.

--
Marcus