The KDE Project recommends the XFree86 server

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 15:50:52 BST 2004

It is not possible, on Solaris SPARC, to run any other X server than
the one shipped by Sun, which is based on X11R6.4. It is possible to
build X.org (X11R6) from source, but it will not run, because the
framebuffer microcode is proprietary to Sun, and there is no open
source equivalent. So, no X server upgrades are possible other than
those provided by Sun.

The situation is slightly different on Solaris x86, where Xfree86 can
be used, but it has its own set or problems. A lot of people use the
Xig X server on Solaris X86, at which point one is bound to the X
server upgrades from Xig.

--Stefan

------

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python