Taskbar grouping patented by MS - Mentions kde-look ml as reference

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Jul 4 20:43:41 BST 2004

Am Samstag, 3. Juli 2004 14:23 schrieb Scott Wheeler:

Hi,

> patent itself I'd like to see this kept off of kde-core-devel.
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0208.1/0768.html

Please avoid direct referencing to SW patents on public KDE mailing lists.

> We could employ a team of 20 people to constantly search the US patent
> archives to determine which patents we may be infringing upon and ways
> around it...or we could just keep writing software.

This imho not only useless (e.g. progress bar) but harmful (knowingly
infringing on a patent is worse...)

> However that's a policy issue, so I think this would be better suited for
> kde-policies.

Yes.

Regards,
-- martin

Dipl.-Phys. Martin Konold

e r f r a k o n
Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de