Taskbar grouping patented by MS - Mentions kde-look ml as reference

Heiko Evermann Heiko.Evermann at gmx.de
Sat Jul 3 22:39:38 BST 2004

Hi Thiago,

>>>Didn't the first KDE release (in 1996?) include a taskbar?
>>>

>>Kde was later than Win95.
>>

>As far as I know, if you release something before you file for its
>patent, you lose the right to do so. So Microsoft cannot later decide
>to patent something they released two years before.
>
>Or am I wrong?

This is right e.g. for the patent system that we used to have in
Germany. But as far as I remember, it is wrong for the patent system in
the US. There you just have to prove that you were the first to do it,
and it is not to your disadvantage that you published it yourself
beforehand.

It is just annoying.

Kind regards,

Heiko