Chaining of io-slaves (Was: plans for KDE4)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jul 2 21:16:31 BST 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 11:56, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thu July 1 2004 22:35, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > "chaining" or "nesting" of ioslaves would be cool (zip files inside of
> > zip files inside of zip files inside of ....) as it happens often e.g.
> > with .jar archives.
> > (or gzipped text or html or...)
>
> We have that for quite some time already (KDE 2.x?) and nobody uses it and
> it is broken half of the time because it doesn't get tested.
>
> E.g. if you have a gzip file you can use URLs like
> 	file:/home/bastian/desktop_shadow.png.gz#gunzip:

Does this also work for remote files ?
Can it be chained in more than once ?

I think we should make a split: ioslaves and filters. gzip, tar, zip, man are
filters, they read files and convert them to another format. The other ones
are ioslaves, they work on file systems.

So:
ioslave: works on a filesystem, which can be remote, and delivers data to the
local box
filter: works on a file/chunk of data (which is available at least in the
local RAM of the box) and returns something which is also available locally,
doesn't change the url.

Bye
Alex