plans for KDE4

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Fri Jul 2 18:16:43 BST 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 18:52, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> On Friday 02 July 2004 17:39, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > Am Freitag 02 Juli 2004 14:20 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> > [...]
> >
> > > I guess, the question about KDE4 is what to _remove_.
> >
> > Arrrrgh! So KDE 4 is about gnomefying KDE.
>
> Why? KDE 4 is opportunity to remove obsolete classes and methods. I don't
> think he was talking about removing features. We can't remove obsolete
> classes now since that would break tons of applications, for KDE 4 we're
> allowed to do that.

I think that's what was being hinted at as well.

However as I've hinted in the past I'd prefer to keep major interface changes
to major releases as well and yes, in some cases this probably means removing
features.  Yes, Virginia, there are such a things as stupid features.  I'm
sure we're all missing the gopher IO slave and are glad that we've still got
ZModem support in Konsole, but imagine the really useless things.  ;-)

-Scott