XML Desktop config files (was: Re: Tons of questions. And some patches

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Mon Jan 26 21:10:41 GMT 2004

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 09:55:00PM +0100, Dr. Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2004 20:43, Thiago Macieira wrote:
Hi Juergen,

> But it should not hurt if somebody includes them (as the 1st 3 bytes of a
> file). As far as Notepad is concerned you are wrong. I just checked on a
> Win2003:
>
> - Notepad does it
> - Wordpad handles it
> - Word 2000 handles it (I have no newer version)
> - Frontpage 2000 handles it partially
> - Visual Studio 2003 does it nicely.
> - The XML parsers handle it.
> - I'have seen lots of shareware tools that do it or can handle it.
>
> When you really expect KDE to be seen in the enterprise you will have mixed
> environments. The others have 98% of the desktop market.
Hmm, are you sure the enterprise functionality of KDE will consists of
exchanging .desktop files?
We are talking here about _config_ files not documents which will be
shared between different hosts. For the same reason XML makes no sense
here. XML is a data _exchange_ format, but we have here only one parser,
so no exchange is needed. And I also don't understand why somebody wants
to create a KDE config file under Windows or MacOS.
Normaly the parser (on Linux) creates/reads the config file, and when somebody
wants to do it manually ok, but then he has to make sure that it fits
the standard...

Just my 2€

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Can a government that shoots at reporters be democratic?
Separate politics from religion and economy!