I think we're done (BIC change)

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Jan 26 17:35:53 GMT 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 13:09, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2004 09:24, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > Off to an even better KDE 3.2.1 - we'll talk about the
> > future after that :)
>
> OK, the tag is moved and the packages are done. You can
> now backport your changes for 3.2.1

You're going to hate this, but I just decided to day to do a header comparison
in kdecore from KDE_3_1_BRANCH to KDE_3_2_BRANCH.  The one that jumped out at
me was:
===
kwinmodule.h, revision 1.19
date: 2003/07/28 14:05:45;  author: lunakl;  state: Exp;  lines: +7 -3
Optimize KWinModule::workArea() by caching struts of strut windows. Kicker
calls it very extensively, and it was causing a lot of roundtrips to XServer.
Saves at least half of all Kicker roundtrips during its startup, and
the startup time difference should be even visible on slower network.

+    virtual void connectNotify( const char* signal );
===

I haven't reviewed the other parts of kdelibs, but in the future for major
releases it would be nice to have some formal procedure for checking BC.  It
only took about 20 minutes to look over kdecore (quickly -- very possible
that I missed stuff) and I found already one BIC thingie.

I'd suggest having at least two people compare kdelibs plus the possibly doing
audits of the places where headers are installed for other libs.  I'm willing
to be one of those people.

-Scott

--
Peace and humptiness forever.