XML Desktop config files (was: Re: Tons of questions. And some patches

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Mon Jan 26 14:08:26 GMT 2004

On Monday 26 January 2004 13:50, Frerich Raabe wrote:

> I can recommend using libxml++'s (very nice C++ bindings for libxml) SAX
> interface.

Sure it's faster. It's plain c (or++) code and won't internally use QString.

But - here comes a QUESTION:

KConfig lives in kdecore. Using libxml on this "low" level might cause an
unwanted dependecy on a non-KDE library. Would this be acceptable?

As a 3rd alternative one could dare to implement a hand-crafted xml parser. As
long as we would deny the use of namespaces and CDATA sections in xml this
would not be too much work.

Yours Jürgen