XML Desktop config files (was: Re: Tons of questions. And some patches

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Mon Jan 26 12:07:57 GMT 2004

On Saturday 24 January 2004 15:27, Frans Englich wrote:

> * AFAICT there is clear advantages of having desktop files in a XML format.
> Why is it not so? Speed issues?

I believe that KDE on the Company desktop would have to cooperate with popular
configuration management tools. In this sense it would be an advantage to use
XML configuration files.

I am currently working on a KConfigINIBackEnd rewrite. If this would be
welcome, I could also support additional line terminations for MAC or
Windows, UTF-8/Base64 encoding and a hook for XML. The parser would be able
to detect XML files and delegate their interpretation to some new code.

The XML code could use QT's SAX parser. Unfortunately this is somewhat slower
then the current INI-style format. But XML could be kept optional - using the
traditional style the new parser would not be slower. A config file in XML
could look like (ask me for a shema or DTD):

<?xml .....>
<kdeconfig version="1">
   <group name="xyz" options="i">
      <entry key="hello" options="d" value="alle meine entlein"/>
      <entry key="one" locale="xx_xx" value="1"/>
   </group>
   <group name="binary data example">
      <entry key ="bin" base64="fkdjflkdfjdlkfjdjlfjjf"/>
   </group>
</kdeconfig>

Is anybody interested?
Yours Jürgen