Tons of questions. And some patches

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sat Jan 24 14:27:55 GMT 2004

Below is a pile of questions and tiny patches. If it was a bad idea grouping
it all in one mail I will split it up in smaller ones(or some other better
way).

* AFAICT there is clear advantages of having desktop files in a XML format.
Why is it not so? Speed issues?

* When adding mimetypes, should it be added to freedesktop's collection or
KDE's. Both? Is there plans to make KDE use freedesktop's mimetype system?

* There's a lot of non registered mimetypes(ie. x-diff). Why aren't they
registered at IANA? Is there a any reason to register them?

* Attached kgui.diff fixes apidocs for k(std)guiitem. Nothing fancy but
without the "headers" the api won't get generated, never have afaict(guess
how this started to scratch..).

* I asked the trolls about what to do with the licensing of .ui files. Judging
from their answer they was pretty positive to adding a feature in designer
which allows easy selection of license. It requires a change in the XML
format AFAICT and that would not be backwards compatible, so it will be
interesting to see if and how they solve it.. In case that doesn't work out,
our last option would be to write a script which fills the "comment" element
with the license.

* From a portability perspective - is a dependency on "passwd" and "chfn" bad?
What about Mac? (except, of being yet another dependency of course)

* The pak_mimetype.diff adds a new mimetype, ID Software's pak format, used
for game data. FYI, it reminds much of simple version of tar, concatenated
files but no file-metadata. It is used in Quake1, Quake2, Half-life and all
the derivatives..
(x-pak.desktop should be placed in kdelibs/mimetypes/application)

* Attached rem_tooltip_stdgui.diff removes tooltips and whatsthis for the
stdguiitems ok() and cancel() since they're inaccurate and plain false in a
lot of cases. Also, considering their generic phrasing they hardly are
useful, just annoying.
This is in preparation for that patch someone posted during the code freeze
which auto enabled tooltips/whatsthis on kpushbuttons..

* add_readlst_default.diff adds a readListEntry overload which has a default
argument for the entry's value. Needs review..

* (OT?) When someone sends an email with me in the To field while CC'ing a KDE
mailinglist I don't receive the mail ment for the mailinglist(CC'd). I find
this annoying, where lies the problem? Could it be my mail provider which
swallows "identical" mails in order to cut bandwidth?

That's all.. thanks for reading.

			Frans