Random wonderings (Was: move klicker to kextragear)

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Jan 22 18:33:43 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 11:58, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Tue January 20 2004 11:32, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I don't know on what grounds I possibly could object, but I have some
> > wonderings regarding apps and kde-extragear. If I have understood
> > correctly, releases for apps in kde-extragear is not synced with KDE's
> > official releases, the advantage of being in kde-extragear is that you
> > got KDE's infrastructure(translator's, mailinglists etc.).
> > I just don't understand why not all apps which uses KDE technologies are
> > allowed to live in kdeextragear. How come exactly ie. gwenview is allowed
> > to be in kdeextragear and not some arbitrary app from www.kde-apps.com?
> > Are they aiming for kde's main modules? (and why aren't they then in
> > kdenonbeta?)
>
> Applications that are reasonably stable and well maintained can become part
> of kdeextragear. It is up to the developer(s) of such application to decide
> that they want that.

The reason I ask is because I find it hard to figure out what KDE "is",
whether it is a "DE-infrastructure with common apps" and/or if it is "a
collection of all possible KDE apps". I think I find KDE's personality
somewhat diffuse, ranging from the included apps to its targeting audience.
Judging from your's and Stephan's comment I would say that anything may live
in kdeextragear as long as the maintainer wants it and the app is reasonable
stable - regardless if it has any connection to KDE(except using KDE
technologies of course).

Cheers,

			Frans