what's the reason for: Fatal error: you need to have a KInstance object before

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 21 20:44:25 GMT 2004

Hi,

since I got no help in other places I ask here:

I have the following code (in kdenonbeta/fuse_kio/fuse_kio/fuse_kio.cpp):
   KCmdLineArgs::init(argc, argv, &ABOUT_DATA);
   KCmdLineArgs::addCmdLineOptions(OPTIONS);
   KCmdLineArgs *args = KCmdLineArgs::parsedArgs();
   KURL base_url;
   base_url = args->url(1);
   fuseApp = new FuseApp();  //derived from KApplication

KDE-unrelated code was left out.

It works without problems on my box and on the box of Kevin Ottens, but I got
a report from Volker Augustin that het gets the following error when starting
the app:

> kde32 at linux:~> fuse_kio /home/kde32/ttt fish://snowbird@localhost/
> Fatal error: you need to have a KInstance object before
> you do anything that requires it! Examples of this are config
> objects, standard directories or translations.

The error seems to happen in the call to args->url(1).

What's wrong ? I guess there's only some small thing missing, which core devs
see without having to think much :-)

Bye
Alex