KDE Integration mailing-list and module

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Jan 20 17:41:10 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 10:15, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2004 12:25, Leo Savernik wrote:
> > It makes me think if KDE delivers the best possible integration of
> > Gtk/Gnome apps, what is the competitive edge for developers to develop
> > KDE applications any more? If you can reach both DEs with writing a
> > Gtk/Gnome applications, but only one DE with Qt/KDE, you can bet what
> > happens in the future. Think commercial vendors.
>
> I would put this argument along with the "Qt is too expensive to be used by
> ISP". Yes, Qt is a lot more expensive to buy in comparison to the free-beer
> gtk. But when digging with the UserLinux thing, we found a lot of ISV
> developing Qt programs.
>
> So the answer, as far as commercial vendors are concerned is: choosing a
> toolkit is more than choosing a price and integration capability. They will
> first look at available support, speed development, suitability of the
> toolkit to the task, quality of the documentation. Qt beats Gtk in all
> these aerea.

Since we're drifting, I'll like to drift some too:

I don't think the establishment of QT "vs" GTK depends on the the development
costs - whether companies start writing apps depends on if there's a demand
for it, and that comes first after QT/KDE has been deployed on machines. So,
the issue will rather be determined by the technical aspects of the toolkits,
among a lot of other things.

In either case, I just wish this issue was not so polarized from a political
perspective and for the end user experience. I just want it to "blur". Dunno
about the technical/implementation side though, mono cultures...

/me reaches for the floor

			Frans