Icon dispute and resolve

Ante Wessels vitanova2 at softhome.net
Fri Jan 16 12:03:21 GMT 2004

On Viernes 16 Enero 2004 01:27, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Ralf Nolden wrote:

> > the
> > SVG files will be included also under LGPL which satisfies KDE's needs.
>
> Hi,
>
> If these things are being discussed I think we should not ask for the LGPL,
> which has been stated time and again without any contradiction is totally
> unsuited for artwork.
>
> The KDE Artists seem to recommend amending the LGPL
> (http://artist.kde.org/new/license.html) but I find that approach
> unsatisfactory for many reasons, including that the LGPL states that it
> cannot be amended.

What I did is based on the solid work of the fsf itself. You can not amend the
gpl either, yet in their faq they give an example of editing the license
notice of the gpl - the notice not being the license. So, it can be done with
the lgpl too. All other licenses have their problems. Earlier you proposed
one of the three FDL licenses. There is only one, and it is not suitable for
artwork. Imho, the lgpl with an add-on to the license notice is the best
option. It also complies with the policy kde has, the free art license would
not.

>Why not use the Free Art License
> (http://artlibre.org/licence.php/lalgb.html) or something more suitable?  I
> know we are stuck with what we have from the past but if Everaldo is
> willing to negotiate a license why not use one that makes the most sense
> for everyone involved?
>
> (I would also note that it is far from clear to me that "KDE Artists" can
> hold a copyright.

yes. But the whole floppy situation with who contributed what when and why,
made this solution a possible one. I noticed it myself once too.

>The US Code, for example, states, "Copyright in a work
> protected under this title vests initially in the author or authors of the
> work."  If you want to assign this copyright to "KDE Artists" it must be
> done in writing, it can be only of specified limited duration, and some
> other formalities followed, and as I doubt that has happened I do not see
> the purpose in using "KDE Artists" as a copyright, either in fact or as a
> recommendation on the website.)
>
> Ciao,
>
> Dre

Cordialemente,

Ante

******
The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists

Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change
filename, file conversion:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html

Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art:
http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita