Konsole showstopper?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jan 14 12:56:06 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 14 of January 2004 10:33, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wed January 14 2004 05:07, Rob Kaper wrote:
> > I just froze 3 Konsoles by trying to insert a backtrace with RMB ->
> > Paste. Can anyone reproduce or verify this was fixed recently?
>
> Yes, I can confirm. Seems to be QClipBoard related. Attaching strace to the
> process gets it to live again.

 It seems to be KProcess related, if you attach gdb, you'll end up in blocking
write() in KProcess::slotSendData(). Strace resumes it because the write()
will be interrupted by a signal. It looks like KProcess feeds to much data to
the shell, who then feeds data back to KProcess, causing a deadlock (KProcess
trying to send data to shell, shell trying to send data to KProcess, both OS
buffers already full).

 I tried limiting the data size for write(), but that doesn't really help. I
guess KProcess will need to go non-blocking on the sockets. Any volunteers?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org