[patch] Making KDE work with (web based) proxy scripts again

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 22:30:02 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 14:51, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> For some time at work we've been unable to use KDE's autoconfiguration
> based on a specific URL.  This was reported in bug #69026.
>
> The basic problem is that kded is that when Konq browses to a certain URL
> KProtocolManager::proxyForURL() is called on that URL which queries kded
> for the proxy.  kded then finds out that the file it's looking for
> (http://proxy:8083) is using the http protocol, so it calls
> KProtocolManager::proxyForURL() to determine how to fetch itself.  ;-)
>
> This would probably end up as an infinite loop if there wasn't a wait call
> in one of the DCOP calls.

Why ? The proxyscout code will always detect the URL is the same as the one it
is trying to download and return "DIRECT". See
kdelibs/kio/misc/kpac/proxyscout.cpp around line 66.

> The attach patch makes sure that if proxyForURL() is called on
> proxyConfigScript() (in our case http://proxy:8083) that it returns
> "DIRECT" rather than trying to look up the proxy to handle that with.

Not yet. We all understand the problem, but we do not know the cause...
Can you please add debug statements to the below the line mentioned about and
see if you ever get to it when the proxy attempts to download the script
file... BTW, I cannot duplicate this at all! It works fine for me... There
must be something else going on here....

--
Regards,
Dawit A.