Idea for 3.3 ( was: Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim )

Helio Chissini de Castro helio at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 09:56:15 GMT 2004

Hi

Instead of every time decide if an io slave must changes place as we have a
lot of others that can be moved ( moving the current mentioned to kde-pim
fastly leads someone propose move fish:// ftp:// to kdenetwork and tar/zip
slaves to kdeutils, makes sense !! ), why not create KDEIO module ?

This will really make sense, since every io slaves could be moved to this
module, and even the newcomers ioslaves from nonbeta could fit easily in the
module, without bother to decide if will bloat kdebase, or belongs to another
place.
From my packager point of view, will be a lot easier to manage small packages,
and from the point of release KDE admin, will be easier to just
enable/disable the ioslave subdir on compilation.
Now, from the point of view of kdepim developers, i think that will be a lot
easier update de kdeio module, than launch the inbetween releases on kdepim
module without do a huge conflicts in packagers database.
And for a developer point of view, this is enable new developers adopt more
and more ioslaves to their applications, since now they become visible and
easy to manage and not force the developer to install another kde module just
to use and test

Just my 2c

--
Helio Chissini de Castro