Qt Cryptographic Architecture

Marc Mutz Marc.Mutz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jan 7 20:08:32 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 02:10, George Staikos wrote:
<snip>
>    Ok this is basically what I started to implement as well.  It is
> generally useful, but we don't really have enough need for this yet
> IMHO.  We should keep your implementation in mind for the time when
> we do.
>
>    Some other notes:
>    - Using OpenSSL should be avoided for hash and cipher plugins
> because it's very big and expensive to load

...and illegal to link against from GPL'ed programs...

>    - As far as KDE is concerned right now, we basically only use MD5,
> with a couple of bits of code using SHA-1, and one place using
> Blowfish.  This is why it's not worth loading a full crypto
> architecture yet.  Eventually it will be very useful though.
<snip>

I would advise against reimplementing functionality found elsewhere in
proven code, esp. if it has nothing at all to do with GUIs. In this
case, I'd expect any such implementation to be a thin wrapper around
libgcrypt, the latter being the cryptographic core of GnuPG extracted
into a library (a LGPL one, I might add). The more so as gnutls and
gsasl both use it already for their cryptography needs and I for one
will make kdesasl a thin wrapper around gsasl in
KDE(3.2).nextRelease().

Marc

--
It has become fashionable in the post Cold War world to label
opponents as terrorists [...]. By doing so, the authorities instill