MMX/SSE{2}/3DNOW checks in kdefx/configure.in.in are wrong

ismail (cartman) donmez ismail.donmez at boun.edu.tr
Mon Jan 5 20:29:32 GMT 2004

Hi,

Simple demo :

cartman at southpark:~$ cat sse2.c
int main()
{
        __asm__("xorpd %%xmm0, %%xmm0" : : : "%xmm0");
        return 0;
}
cartman at southpark:~$ gcc -o sse2 sse2.c
cartman at southpark:~$ ./sse2
Illegal instruction
cartman at southpark:~$

As you can see anyone can compile a program with SSE2 instruction but it will
not run unless
your CPU supports it. But kdelibs configure says I got MMX/3DNOW/SSE/SSE2
support on a Pentium3!
( Which would be cool ;) ). A better solution would be doing :

cartman at southpark:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 mmx fxsr sse

But I am not sure if /proc exists on non-linux systems.

Regards,
/ismail

--
KDE for Desktop, Vodka for life!