Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue Jan 6 03:44:52 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 08:44, Marc Mutz wrote:
> Those three slaves are not at all "basic". From at least KDE 2.2
> where KMail was made to use these slaves instead of it's own smtp
> (and pop?) implementation, these slaves were used in
> connection-oriented mode unlike almost any other "basic" ioslave.
> Those two/three slaves share a metadata protocol to perform certain
> special commands whose application end is only implemented in
> KMail. The same goes for kio_nntp, which isn't even used by knode,
> and is probably completely non-functional by now.
>
> The smtp slave contains some really ugly "I-want-to-be-sendmail"
> hacks (like rfc822 header generation) that I'd really like to get
> rid of as soon as possible. Moving it to kdepim would allow me to
> do that for kdepim-3.3. Consider this an official request from the
> current kio_smtp maintainer to move the slave to kdepim.
>
> The IMAP slave is _very_ tightly coupled to KMail. Just watch the
> many simultaneous cross-CVS-module commits that are needed just to
> fix IMAP-related bugs, not speaking of implement new features.
> IIRC, both even share an enum (at least it was proposed they do not
> long ago)!

> pop3, and imap (in order of increasing urgency) to
> kdepim/kioslaves.

I'll support Marc here, and ask for the pop slave to be moved into
kdepim also. IIRC I'm the current maintainer of the pop slave.

If these ioslaves aren't moved into kdepim then I fear they could be
branched into kdepim leading to redundant ioslaves in kdebase and
unnecessarily duplicated code.

Don.