Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 16:56:07 GMT 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 18:34, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 04 January 2004 17:28, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> > If the smtp kioslave is moved we (all packagers who don't break
> > down the modules into subcomponents) would have to make
> > kdemultimedia dependent on kdepim. Obviously this wouldn't be very
> > acceptable.
>
> Or just document that "cddb mail sending requires kdepim".
> Most of kdemultimedia won't need it, only this very precise feature.

If this is a runtime-only dependency, this would be pretty easy to
implement, providing error-checking happens in the app(s) that use
kio_smtp ("hey, I can't find any way to send mail, do me a favour and
install kdepim").

If it's a buildtime dependency, it gets to be more messy.

(I don't know what kind of dep it is, and I'm not that good a coder to
check)

> > Having read the proposed kdepim schedule, my personal feeling is
> > that we would all be better off if the PIM changes are done in a
> > branch (you're already doing that I see), and that once the changes
> > are deemed to be stable enough that you get the RD/docs/i18n's
> > permission for a "one time only" merge back into the main branch
> > for 3.2.
>
> We discussed this option, but adding features to a "frozen stable
> branch" is a big no-no.

It's not a decision that could be taken lightly, it's true.

> Talking about version number confusion, if
> 3.2.2. has many new features compared to 3.2.1. - and possibly some
> new bugs. The name "3.3" makes this clear.

What version of kdepim would be released with KDE 3.3?

> Anyway, discussion on kdepim release schedule and versioning is for
> kde-pim, and unrelated to moving kioslaves.

Agreed, I'll read the answer to my previous question over there ;)

A.

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org
  we wouldn't need Windows and Gates."  -- anon  | tap at fruitsalad.org