Moving pop, imap and smtp koslaves from kdebase to kdepim

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Jan 4 16:34:50 GMT 2004

On Sunday 04 January 2004 17:28, Andy Fawcett wrote:
> If the smtp kioslave is moved we (all packagers who don't break down the
> modules into subcomponents) would have to make kdemultimedia dependent
> on kdepim. Obviously this wouldn't be very acceptable.

Or just document that "cddb mail sending requires kdepim".
Most of kdemultimedia won't need it, only this very precise feature.

> Having read the proposed kdepim schedule, my personal feeling is that we
> would all be better off if the PIM changes are done in a branch (you're
> already doing that I see), and that once the changes are deemed to be
> stable enough that you get the RD/docs/i18n's permission for a "one
> time only" merge back into the main branch for 3.2.

We discussed this option, but adding features to a "frozen stable branch"
is a big no-no. Talking about version number confusion, if 3.2.2. has many
new features compared to 3.2.1. - and possibly some new bugs.
The name "3.3" makes this clear.
Anyway, discussion on kdepim release schedule and versioning is for kde-pim,
and unrelated to moving kioslaves.