extending kicker menu extension question

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Feb 29 13:44:54 GMT 2004

Hi,

after some discussion here and on kde-usability I thought I'd try to implement
the immediate action/delayed menu functionality for kicker (e.g. for the
terminal session kicker button).
Now, this is the first time that I ever had a look at the kicker sources.
I'd like to extend the KPanelMenu so that it features optionally a "default
action". If it has a default action, this action will be executed when the
button is clicked and the menu will be opened delayed. If it doesn't have a
default action, it will always open the menu (as it is now).

So, how implement it ?
I thought about adding functions "hasDefaultAction()" and
"execDefaultAction()" to KPanelMenu. But this would be BIC. It could be done
via the virtual_hook() function and would have to be cleaned for KDE 4 :-/

Then the PanelPopupButton could adjust its behaviour according to
hasDefaultAction() in PanelPopupButton::setPopup(). Does PanelPopupButton
have to stay BC ?

Or am I completely on the wrong track and there is a much better way to do
it ?

Bye
Alex