How to handle Out-of-Memory in Konqueror?

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Fri Feb 27 01:57:14 GMT 2004

On February 25, 2004 09:47 am, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> > Hmm...
> > There are already 2 people complaining about the crash. At least one uses
> > "ulimit -v", i.e. he is by purpose limiting the amount of virtual memory
> > for each process.
>
> What I've meant: traditionally in Unix programs one does not care about out of
> memory conditions. IMO the ulimit thing is to ensure a process does not eat
> up all memory, knowing that those processes probably crash when they hit
> the limit.

Couldn't this problem be more easily subverted KDE-wide? I know under Windows when
an application starts chewing memory, the OS itself warns the user of this fact and asks
them if they want it closed. It's not left up to the application.r

Couldn't we monitor KDE processes via kdeinit or a kded for their VM usage (a-la vmstat)
and if it looks like it's getting out of hand, halt the process and pop up a confirmation dialog
asking the user if they want to continue down their currently dangerous road?

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org