How to handle Out-of-Memory in Konqueror?

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Wed Feb 25 19:02:54 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 25 February 2004 19:48, Tim Jansen wrote:

> An OOM handler is extremely hard to write and test, especially when
> libraries don't document which functions can allocate memory. And even if
> you managed to do it correctly, there's no guarantee that the kernel's OOM
> killer will not kill your process without any warning.

An OOM condition in the user application is not always triggered by a kernel
OOM handler. it can be just an ulimit..

I think it makes sense to check your memory conditions in a central place.
like fsview - when I try to use it it always aborts with the very same
backtrace, so it should be easy to guard.

Dirk