Id tags are fun

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Feb 23 17:21:09 GMT 2004

On Monday 23 February 2004 17:58, Michael Matz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > > Nonsense.  Writing correct C++ syntax is mandatory as long as you want
> > > to compile it, and it's actually a C++ program.  Using or not using Id
> > > tags is a matter of habit and as such optional (and usually disliked
> > > but not forbidden).
> >
> > No, it is not optional but explicitely forbidden:
> > http://developer.kde.org/policies/commitpolicy.html#19
>
> These rules are reasonable guidelines.  As such they can very well be
> overruled by any maintainers opinion.  If his opinion differs too much he
> might not want to use KDE CVS, but differing in minor ways of course can
> not be forbidden.

Hehe.. I would like to see next time someone majorly break the commit policy
and a discussion surrounding "reasonable" starts ;-)

I just don't understand the conservatism, who would object if I removed the Id
tags for them? AFAICT people would be glad if it were applied. (or is there
cases where we want to keep the Id tags?) Afterall, we're talking about one
line of comment. I just don't get it, here's a 250kb patch of one liners
which would make life so much easier and it gets held back because of
principle, not because someone actually would get upset, AFAICT. But that's
just me.

			Frans