Setup file for startkde

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Feb 20 13:01:47 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 12:58:44PM +0100, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 12:06, Andy Goossens wrote:
> > On Friday 20 February 2004 10:55, David Faure wrote:
> > > Here's a proposal for a one-liner addition to startkde, which would allow
> > > people to set environment variables to be used by KDE, but also to run
> > > programs that set environment variables, like ssh-agent and gpg-agent.
> > >
> > > I thought of ~/.kde/setup: under ~/.kde in order to avoid cluttering the
> > > home dir, but right under there so that it's easy to find/edit. Of course
> > > we won't ship such a file by default, but e.g. the instructions for setting
> > > up ssh-agent and gpg-agent for KDE would tell people to edit ~/.kde/setup.
> >
> > How about making ~/.kde/setup a directory which can contain several scripts to
> > set environment variables? That makes it easier to extend than a single file
> > which stores everything.
>
> I was wondering if someone was going to say that :)

i would have been the next one. :)
my main argument is consistency with the shutdown dir(s). of course
there needs to be a distinction between source-able and exec-utable
programs - i think one can simply do a test -x for that, but needs to
document the subtle difference (i.e., _don't_ chmod x the .sh files if
they are supposed to set environment variables).

greetings