Ouch?

David Leimbach leimy2k at mac.com
Fri Feb 20 02:51:02 GMT 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 7:02 PM, Marc Mutz wrote:

> Am I the only one who finds this enum definition curious?
>
>   enum Communication {
>        NoCommunication = 0,
>        Stdin = 1, Stdout = 2, Stderr = 4,
>        AllOutput = 6, All = 7,
>        NoRead
>   };
>
> This only works by pure luck, since All ensures NoRead = 8, keeping the
> bit flag nature of the enum intact. Maybe we should make the NoRead=8
> explicit? :)
>
> Marc

It would at least be consistent.  If you have an enum you shouldn't be
relying on the "integer" value of the enumeration anywhere... just know
that
it has a unique enumeration.

There is nothing technically wrong with the code as it is.  And if
people
are using integers where the Communication type is expected that's
bad practice.

Dave