Disabling aRts in knotify

Gioele Barabucci ml at gioelebarabucci.com
Thu Feb 19 19:56:10 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 19:02, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 22:01, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> > At the same time we don't want to rewrite Ogg and MP3 decoders in every
> > app that need to play them so we write other plugins to plug in the same
> > "dispatcher" (and solve also the AC3 problem).
> >
> > Maybe it's me, but this "dispatcher" reminds me of aRts...
>
> In most cases there is no need for dispatching, there is a need for
> decoding. Use a lib for that.
a lib? so instead of ::play("hello.ogg"), you want ktuberling to deal with
threads, ov_open(), ov_comment(), ov_info(), ov_read(), ov_clear(),
ov_close(), downsample and error recovery on four different UNIXes? No,
please no.

Or you want to put the decoding in the media-layer (ok, let's not call it
dispatcher)... but then I want threads (no gui blocking API please) and
plugins. Yet another sound server.

Can you put a page with one or two diagrams of the audio layer you are
proposing? just show how should apps interact with him the the most common
cases; I can not see how such an infrastructure could be more effective than
a well written sound server.

--
Gioele