aRts needs to be replaced (was Re: Disabling aRts in knotify)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 18:25:18 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 19:16, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> (Moving this to kde-multimedia too -- please respond there.)
>
> On Thursday 19 February 2004 19:03, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > I really don't think so. It's a design fault. We could also write a
> > webbrowser which implements html, http, tcp, ip all itself (ok, slightly
> > exaggerated ;-)
>
> Right, but you're the one suggesting to write such a web browser.  ;-)

Ehh, I don't think so. Then we must have misunderstood.

> That's my point.  I'm not arguing that this stuff should be in the server,
> I'm just saying that it shouldn't be in the apps.
>
> > e.g. for network transparency.
>
> Actually here's one advantage of decoding on the server in theory -- you
> can send the encoded (much smaller) data over the network rather than the
> raw audio.

That's an advantage, for special use cases. For these special cases the
"higher level sound lib" should be able to either decode itself (i.e. ripping
the decoding stuff out of arts) or to forward the encoded data to the "lower
level sound lib" (e.g. MAS and all that)

Bye
Alex