Plugin tutorial request

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 10:53:56 GMT 2004

On Thursday 19 February 2004 05:27, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> Many applications these days (too many?, different thread please) have or will
> have a plugin system.  There is this doc:
>
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/writing-plugins.html
>
> but it really has to do with writing kpart plugins and not about generic
> plugin systesms.
Yes

> I have written a few different plugin systems in the past
> few years, each one different (and better).  And in the same time come across
> several dozen more.  No doubt code is unnecessarily being duplicated all over
> the place and sub optimal or just flat out wrong choices are being made in
> the design of these plugin systems.  It would probably be worth while to put
> together a document describing all of the best practices for creating a
> plugin system.

This is basically the talk I gave in n7y.
 http://www.blackie.dk/~dfaure/n7y/Trader/index.html

(yes it's called Trader, but it's really "how to add a plugin system to your KDE app")

I don't have time to convert it to HTML and flesh out the explanations,
but if you want to do that... (for the Makefile.am howto I opened the .kpr
with KWord and saved it as HTML - does KOffice rock or what?)