Disabling aRts in knotify

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 19:25:58 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 18:37, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> Responding to two things in one here...
>
> On Wednesday 18 February 2004 0:54, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> > > I for one would be more than satisfied with plain /dev/dsp support,
> > > since my soundcard features two channels.
>
> That's a step backwards for multimedia on the UNIX desktop.  On the one
> hand I'm all about things that work and being pragmatic, but having the
> desktop deal with the raw devices is not the way to go.

Well, IOW I don't need it, many other people don't need it, it adds a daemon
which can crash while simply playing audio, it needs cpu power, it doesn't
improve the sound quality, it doesn't add anything for me.

I mean almost everything in KDE is plugin-based, I think it must be possible
to make the kde sound backend plugin-based too. One plugin for arts, one for
OSS, one for ALSA, one for gstreamer, one for MAS, ....
Basically these plugins would simply forward sampled raw audio data to the
backend. Almost no cpu usage, much few chances to crash, etc.

Bye
Alex