idea: kpersonalizer to ask for user 'type'

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 14:11:18 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 07:00, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2004 15:38, Janne Karhunen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've noticed that there have been some seriously split views
> > concerning whether KDE should ship with konsole icon in the
> > default kicker etc, as intended audience changes from closet
> > nerd to office blonde. I fail to see this as an issue either
> > way - kpersonalizer exists already. Why not make it to ask
> > for user level and do the settings accordingly? IMHO asking
> > this would be FAR more important than asking for a theme to
> > be used.
>
> Waldo once wrote a very interesting mail on that topic:
>
>     http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=98944039129759&w=2

   Which is why I suggested that instead of user 'type' or 'level', we can
provide a choice along the lines of:

1) minimalist desktop
2) featureful desktop
3) whatever other choice the user may want
n) customize

   You don't categorize the user, you let the user choose.  Remember that KDE
as we provide it is not KDE as is shipped to end users with their distro
anyway.  The people who use "our" KDE are people compiling with CVS or source
packages.  They are capable of basic decisions.  Distros will customize as
they see fit.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/