Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Carlos Leonhard Woelz carloswoelz at imap-mail.com
Mon Feb 16 22:49:11 GMT 2004

Sorry about the late reply.

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>> Adding WhatsThis is a
>> pretty trivial task once one has come up with a nice text

>Which can take a *lot* of time once you strive to get it complete.

When you are not familiar with the application, it takes a lot of time to
complete. New contributors take time to be productive. When you know the
application, you have to be extremely direct, concise and clear. It is not
hard, but to make something good, it is not easy either, specially if you
aren't a native English speaker.

>> and it's
>> definitely a task for people who want to help, but can't really code.
>>

>I agree. I've experienced it first-hand by following Aaron's tutorial.
>But it still isn't too trivial....

Kurt is the perfect Quality Team member. He knows KPrinter very well. If even
he thinks it isn't too trivial, it will take a bit of time for a new
contributor to know the applications really well, and to produce good
whatsthis help.

BTW, I think, by experience, that it is better to choose one application and
fill all the whatsthis than to choose a module like kdelibs and kdebase. For
a newbie, kcm's is a nightmare: all the complicated configurations in one
place, very little scale gains. (I followed Aaron's guide too :))

>> I promise to add any WhatsThis help texts that are written for parts of
>> KMail's GUI to KMail.

>What about creating "empty" WhatsThis-s, containing just a place-holder
>string (making it easy for non-coders to find the mapping spot in the
>source code), like "WHATSTHIS for 'Sort-Button' still missing..." ?

>This could make it even easier for people in the Quality Teams or other
>volunteers to use CVS, replace the place-holder, compile the code, test
>it and submit patches it to the maintainers....

That's is a great idea.

Also, to answer a question from your other post, Kurt: yes, the whatsthis is a
priority for the KDE Quality team. The website is mainly written, but it is
still not online, because (for many reasons) I couldn't manage to test it.
Chis Howells is helping me with that.

For the moment, you can check the wiki version for whatsthis and
documentation:

http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Quality+Team+HOWTO+Documentation

The kde-quality test site will be shortly at:

http://kde-team.devrandom.org.uk

Cheers,

Carlos Woelz