Static functions

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Feb 16 13:21:27 GMT 2004

Dirk Mueller wrote:
>On Monday 16 February 2004 09:43, Rolf Magnus wrote:
>> Making them static in the namespace additionally prevents their
>> symbols from being exported.
>
>Can you give me an example snippet so I can understand better what
> you're saying here?

I believe he means that

namespace MyFunctions
{
  void function();
}

is equivalent to
class MyFunctions
{
public:
  static void function();
};

However, if you add  "static" to the namespace above, the symbol won't
be exported, which is impossible with a class. See my e-mails on this
subject regarding the ELF headers (my readelf outputs).

PS: if anyone is wondering, the symbol mangling is different for the two
functions above, at least with g++.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info