Mixing with KCM KMix

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Feb 15 12:49:29 GMT 2004

On Saturday 14 February 2004 00:09, you wrote:
> On Monday 02 February 2004 01:31, Frans Englich wrote:

> > > They are obsolete in KControl. I am still planning to put it back in
> > > KMix (I still hate autosave, especially because its broken).
> >
> > Good that you mentions it, now we can discuss it, getting our ideas peer
> > reviewed.
> > From the discussion we had pre 3.2 I found the rationalis to why
> > autosaving was preferred superior.
>
> Sorry for not answering earlier. I suffered from a non-working KDE (this
> includes KMail) and now have a huge backlog.

You too, my KMail is also messed up. But our mail problems has nothing to do
with the paragraph you replies to... :)

> > I can take this discussion one more time: If we for one moment discards
> > that you personally don't like it - what is the rationalis why an
> > arbitrary user would not prefer autosaving?
>
> If you want to start your desktop every time with the same volume levels,
> you want to save manually.
> I can understand that that is "good enough" for many people.

But that's really the point. There was clear usability problems with the old
solution, and that was what the new behavior addressed. How will those
problems be taken care of with the new solution?(not trying to be rude here
but they can't come back). If I've understood you correctly, you are saying
that KMix's default behavior should /not/ be tailored to how the majority of
users wants it, but rather the case you describe, right? (You will remove
autosaving?)

<snip>
> > > BTW: What would you think about removing the "Dock into panel" option?
> > > I am pretty undecided here: On the one hand, KMix should always dock
> > > into the panel, but on the other hand: what if a user wants to save
> > > space on the dock area
> >
> > I find the applet area a place where things the user need often but can't
> > use too much space, can be. If it's not in the applet area it is a
> > taskbar entry and that consumes more space than the the applet entry.
>
> Oops, did I confuse you now?!?
> I was not talking about removing docking support, but to remove the
> *option* whether to do docking or not.

In the paragraph I respond to you ponders about the space consumption "what if
a user wants to save space on the dock area", and which I replies to - I
don't think it is a problem. I do not, and have never intended to suggest
removing dock support. Later on, I write "On top of my head: Remove it.",
referring to the option.

> > I also think the "Configure KMix" in the RMB can be removed - configuring
> > kmix will be very seldom, and most of its settings are tied to the main
> > window.
>
> Could - but it is no must.

That's true, I guess. I don't know what usability issues which are a must, and
those who are not.
But what do you think? Is the motivation I mention in the paragraph
wrong/right? Would usability be degraded or improved by removing it?

BTW, CC'ing kde-core-devel - I want my comments peer reviewed :)

Cheers,

		Frans