kicker clock

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Feb 14 00:27:30 GMT 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 19:20, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 18:44, George Staikos wrote:
> > A few clock related items:
> >
> > 1)  Two inviduals have reported that my clock fix which makes it
> > place the date in the right place causes kicker crashes/freezes.  I
> > did what I could to reproduce it, but I cannot. Therefore I would
> > like anyone who can reproduce these problems to please get some
> > backtraces or other debugging info to indicate what is really wrong.
>
> Yeah, your change makes not only clock but my whole system totally
> unusable. There's no usable backtrace, because it just loops in update
> signals. It takes 100% cpu and that's because it goes into infinite
> refreshing loop with your patch. From what I see it happens if the
> Kicker is transparent :
> 1) Kicker starts up, gets the background pixmap,
> 2) clock is updated,
> 3) with your patch the geometry is updated and you send a signal to
> update the layout.
> 4) kicker goes "hey, my layout changed, i better get a new desktop
> pixmap snapshot'
> 5) clock is updated,
> 6) ...

  Ok I gathered this much, but 5,6 is where I need more info.  Which
function[s] is called in the clock?  My update patch only happens when the
date changes.  I think the bug is either in the transparency code then, or in
the clock applet's update code (updating even when the date didn't change).
I tried setting transparency on and it flickers like mad but it's still
usable.  I haven't got a good trace out of it yet.  I think the fact that it
requires transparency on indicates the problem is perhaps elsewhere though.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/