Suggestion: Make "WhatsThis" 100% complete for next release

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at Kossebau.de
Fri Feb 13 14:18:04 GMT 2004

Am Freitag, 13. Februar 2004 13:45 schrieb Bo Thorsen:
> On Friday 13 February 2004 12:33, Friedrich W. H.  Kossebau wrote:
> > >
> > > <layout description snipped>
> > > You are confusing two different issues - KDE applications having the
> > > text, and how it is displayed under a particular theme.
> >
> > ???
> > Perhaps my english is that bad so you could not understand what I
> > meant. Sorry. No, I was speaking about dialogs for things one has no
> > real clue of. Imagine someone who has no idea of fonts and being
> > confronted with the fontsdialog. He should be able to see _all_ the
> > whatsthis texts _together_, not having to do all the move and click for
> > each single one.
> > More understandable? :)
>
> The words, yes. The idea, no :-)

Sigh :)

> What you are describing is a help page. There is already a system for
> that, you know?

I disagree. We already have and use the whatsthis system. All I ask for is the
possibility to show the popups all together. Why hide this in the help
system? It may be difficult to implement, of course, but it saves you a lot
of time with more complex dialogs with a lot of elements.

The same would be nice to have in the help system, I agree. But why reach for
the help system when you could have it connected to the live system?

> Don't abuse the what's this for a help system.

Yes. I am not speaking of extending the content of the whatsthis'.

I agree with Danimo that it would be generally nice to have hyperlinks from
all the whatsthis to the corresponding section in the help pages where
ideally the description would be more detailed and encompanied by examples if
appropriate (like Gunnar said). Well, I once will have to write help texts for
KHexEdit2, too, so I know what I say here. :)

Friedrich