A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Feb 12 10:43:14 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 17:06, ojschmidt at kde.org wrote:
> Scott Wheeler <wheeler at kde.org> schrieb am 11.02.2004, 15:46:30:
> > I should have CC'ed the KEG list. Oh, and it wasn't imported -- the
> > repository was just moved from my home system after people were
> > interested in having access to the repository.
>
> AFAIU this is not only about cc'ing the KEG list.
> Did you speak to the KEG maintainer? Did he allow you to import it?

The assumption was that had the KEG list been CC'ed that anyone concerned
would have voiced their opinion then.

> > I don't intend to tie TagLib releases with KDE releases and TagLib
> > is already being used in a handful of non-KDE applications.
>
> I am wondering whether the Freedesktop.org CVS repository would be the
> right place if the library is used by non-KDE apps as well. Especially
> if it is a dependency for both KDE and other desktop apps.

Possibly, but that undoes most of the function of moving it into KDE CVS -- it
was done as a convenience since other KDE developers were interested in
working on it.  (As, again, for me I don't have a problem with maintaining it
in my local CVS.)

That also still doesn't answer the larger question -- where do things that are
not specifically for KDE, but mostly worked on by KDE developers and used by
KDE belong?

> > at some point it would make sense to have a module for KDE related,
> > but indirectly connected stuff (i.e. currently we have unsermake,
> > taglib, valgrind, arts, icecream, kjs, libqt-addon, etc.).  There
> > really hasn't been a logical place for that stuff so far so it's
> > been spread all over CVS.
>
> Some of these are applications, and some libraries. While I think that
> mixing those into the same module is not a very clean approach, it is
> much better then moving libraries to KEG.

Lots of modules mix applications and libraries...

-Scott

--
I believe that a scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb
as the next guy.