A humble packager's request: Retire kdeaddons.

Benoit Walter b.walter at free.fr
Wed Feb 11 22:09:22 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 18:45, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> > > You are right. The weather plugin shouldn't be in kdepim.
> >
> > The weather kontact plugin should be at the same place as KWeather.
>
> And having a dependency from kdetoys on kdepim? A plugin normally
> inherits from a base class and when this base class is not in kdelibs
> you will always have dependencies.

I see. It seems however difficult to solve the problem.The plugin needs
kweather in kdetoys which should not depend on kdepim...

> > I personnally think it would make sense to move all optional kontact
> > plugins to kdeaddons/kontact/plugins...
>
> Well, that's not easily possible from the programmers point of view,
> because we use dcop stubs and they need a path to the other
> applications, so we _can't_ move the kmail, korganizer, kaddressbook and
> knotes plugin somewhere outside kdepim.

Sure, main plugins should be kept. Would it be possible, however. to move the
weather plugin to kdeaddons/kontact/plugins (with knewsticker)? If someone
needs it, he will have to look for kweather and I am not sure many users will
find it.
So leaving the plugin in the main package will be confusing. If the plugin
cannot be moved, another solution would be to add more information about how
the plugin can be used, such as the place where kweather can be downloaded.

Cheers,
Benoit.